AHMEDABAD: 30 May 2014
Admissions to Bachelor of Arts courses will not be centralized. Gujarat University's decision means students will still have to go to individual colleges for admission. The decision to leave admissions to BA courses non-centralized was taken as there are several seats lying vacant in Gujarat University.
Sources said that barring prominent arts colleges, others are saddled with 50% vacancies. Officials said that if the university decided to have centralized admissions, the majority the colleges would not get students as the system would allocate students to the colleges where there are vacancies.
There are 29 arts college in Ahmedabad city and 60 colleges in rural areas. All are affiliated to Gujarat University. There are about 12,000 BA seats in the city and 18,000 seats in rural areas. Admissions to BA courses will begin from June 5.
Officials said the meeting of arts college principals will be held in the city after the results are declared on May 31, to decide on the further modalities. GU will decide if there would be a common form for all colleges or independent forms. Officials said that there are hardly any students who want admission to arts courses in the city, while there is a rush in rural areas.
LD Arts College principal and former dean of arts faculty, Mahipatsinh Chavda, said forms will be distributed between June 5 and 7. The first merit list will be declared on June 9 and the academic calendar will begin from June 18.
There are four English medium colleges, including St Xavier's College and LD Arts, among others.
Engineering and Pharmacy
Admissions to engineering and pharmacy degree courses, to be conducted by Admission Committee for Professional Courses, will begin on Friday. The forms will be available at various branches of nationalized banks from Friday.
Students will have to register by June 10. Officials said that once a student obtains a 'Pin' number from the bank, he could then get further information from the 70-odd helplines in various parts of the state. Officials said ACPC has also offered online payment services for 'Pin' numbers. "If a student does not want to go to a bank, a simple SMS can be sent to a particular number and the student will be allotted a Pin number. Once the Pin is received, he can make the payment online and register.
ACPC has decided that since the process of admission has been challenged in the court, they will only have one mock round before final admissions are conducted. ACPC hopes the admissions process will be complete by mid July and the academic session begins from July 17.
Member secretary and LD Engineering College principal M B Dholakia said ACPC has got 80,000 forms printed and this year and about 63,000 students are qualifying for admission. The cutoff criteria for admission in the general category is 45%.
Officials in ACPC said they have decided that the board will prepare the merit list based on percentiles in examinations conducted by the various boards, including the Central Board for Secondary Education as well as the percentile in the Joint Entrance Examination (Main).
Accordingly, while preparing the merit list, 60% of weightage will be given to board examinations, while the remaining 40% to JEE. The board has also decided that they will have a common merit for Gujarat Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board, Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) boards.